Reason's For a Mobile Website
by The Design Bank on 12 January 2011
The amount of smartphones, mobile devices and mobile web users has increaded at a very fast pace in the last couple of years.
An effective mobile strategy isn’t just about creating a mobile-friendly version of a website. You need to create a mobile plan into the overall business strategy, build an analytic tools & metrics, and continue to monitor and modify the strategy as technology changes in time.
An excellent example of a mobile website that we have created is Lifterz Work Platforms. Please take a look on your mobile phone to experience the full mobile version of this site.
Below are a few statistics for you to think about when creating a mobile site:
- There are an estimated 82 million U.S. mobile Web users. (Millennial Media)
- 83% of U.S. adults have either a cell phone or a smartphone. (Pew Internet)
- 35% of U.S. adults have accessed the Internet using their phone. (Pew Internet)
- 450 million smartphones are projected to be shipped in 2012 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ more than notebook and desktop computers combined. (Brandanywhere and Luth Research)
- One in two consumers would give preference to a brand that has a mobile site. (Brandanywhere and Luth Research)
- 40% of U.S. women own smartphones. (comScore)
- 32% of moms in the U.S. owned a smartphone in 2010. (comScore)
- 1/3 of U.S women use the mobile web at least once a week. (comScore)
- Only 4.8% of U.S. retailers have mobile-specific websites. (Brandanywhere and Luth Research)
- By 2015, worldwide mobile advertising revenue will rise to about $24.1 billion. (Informa Telecoms & Media)
- 12.3 million U.S. mobile users have clicked on a mobile advertisement and then went on to purchase the item. (Lightspeed Research for mobileSQUARED)
- U.S. mobile ad spending will reach $1 billion in 2011. (eMarketer)
- 94% of mobile phone owners have text included as a part of their phone plan. (IHL Group)